Department of Water & Sanitation Bursary South Africa 2017 – 2018
ABOUT THE BURSAR
The Department of Water and Sanitation (DWS) have established a Learning Academy, whose aim it is to help students complete their tertiary students within the water and sanitation field, which is a scarce skills sector in the country.
ABOUT THE BURSARY
The following expenses will be covered by the bursary award: registration, tuition, prescribed book allowance, accommodation, meals and an annual personal allowance.
Bursaries will be awarded to students who are studying or intend on studying within one of the following fields:
- Analytical Chemistry
- Aquatic Sciences
- Biological Sciences
- Environmental Science
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering (Heavy Current)
- Mechanical Engineering
- Environmental Law
- Environmental Management
- Geographical Information Systems
- Water and Sanitation
- Water Care
- Water Resource Management
- Water Utilisation
Students must take up studies in one of the following universities:
Eastern Cape: Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University, Walter Sisulu University, Rhodes University.
Free State: University of the Free State, Central University of Technology.
Gauteng: University of Pretoria, Tshwane University of Technology, Vaal University of Technology, University of Witwatersrand, University of Johannesburg.
KwaZulu-Natal: University of Kwa-Zulu Natal, Durban University of Technology, University of Zululand.
Limpopo: University of Limpopo, University of Venda.
Western Cape: University of the Western Cape, University of Cape Town, University of Stellenbosch, Cape Peninsula University of Technology.
On completion of their studies, students will be required to join the Water Learning Academy for 3-5 years as a graduate trainee. Further details regarding the Learning Academy obligation, can be found here: https://www.dwa.gov.za/learningA/graduatetrainees.aspx
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying:
- South African citizen,
- Currently in Matric or have passed Matric,
- Currently studying or intend on studying within one of the aforementioned fields of study,
- Currently studying or intend on studying at one of the aforementioned universities.
HOW TO APPLY
Download and complete the Dept of Water Bursary Application Form (pdf).
Alternatively, please download the latest application form from: https://www.dwa.gov.za/learningA/BursaryC.aspx (from 1 April annually). Or collect a form from one of the aforementioned universities.
The following documents must accompany your application form:
- ID document (certified copy),
- Current Matric students: latest academic results (Grade 11 final results and/or Grade 12 first term results),
- Current tertiary students: Matric results certificate AND complete academic record to date,
- Students who have completed Matric and are registering for tertiary study: Matric results certificate AND acceptance letter or proof of application.
Complete application forms and supporting documents must be submitted in one of the following ways:
Department of Water and Sanitation
Director: Learning Academy
Private Bag X313
2) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
31 August annually.
For any bursary queries, please contact:
The Programme Manager – Ms Verena Meyer
Tel: 012 336 7448
Email: email@example.com/ firstname.lastname@example.org