Conference, Exhibition and Event Management Certificate
The Conference, Exhibition and Event Management Programme is a comprehensive programme addressing all critical issues in the design, development, implementation and coordination of big and small functions to prepare learners for all aspects of this dynamic and exciting industry.
With this programme, successful learners could pursue a career as a/an:
- Conference Planner
- Exhibition Planner
- Event Planner
- Wedding Planner
- Differentiation between various types of conferences.
- Forecasting of costs involved in organising a conference.
- Planning of events, taking into consideration systematic and integrated planning processes, impact and critical success factors.
- Understanding the different types of exhibitions and their advantages and disadvantages.
- The role of market research in planning an exhibition and assessing viability.
- Marketing concepts.
- New product development and product life cycle.
- Product classification and product positioning.
- Entrepreneurship is defined and discussed in terms of inter-relatedness with other aspects of business management.
- Entrepreneur traits are identified.
- Finances and sources of finance are investigated and a business plan is developed.
Risk Management and Legislation
- Risk management and various aspects of risk.
- A stakeholder analysis, action plan and development of a risk treatment schedule.
- Major tourism routes in South Africa.
- Safety and security of tourists.
- Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, Internet and email.
- Introduction to wedding planning.
- The legal side of marriage.
- The wedding budget, ceremony and traditions.
- The essential requirements to host a wedding.
- Planning checklists.
First Aid (External module)
- Know basic first aid concepts.
- Treat and report injuries or medical emergencies.
Wine Theory (External module)
- Have basic knowledge of wine and serving of wine.
- English 1st language.
- South African 2nd language.
- Mathematical literacy.
This programme includes a compulsory Workplace Learning component. Workplace Learning provides important opportunities for professional and personal growth. It addresses specific competencies identified for the acquisition of the programme, which relates to the development of skills that will make the learner employable and will assist in developing his/her personal skills.
TYPE OF PROGRAMME
- Full Time
- Provider Programme**
- This programme is not registered on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF)*
**Provider Programmes facilitate skills and knowledge to ensure success in a chosen field of learning, but are not credit bearing
One year full-time study according to programme requirements.
- Knowledge, comprehension and application of English language at Grade 11 or equivalent.
- Knowledge, comprehension and application of Mathematical Literacy at Grade 11 or equivalent.
- Admission may be subject to an interview with an academic staff member.
FUNDAMENTALS CREDIT ACCUMULATION TRANSFER (CAT)
Should a learner have passed Grade 12 with a 1st and 2nd South African language and Mathematics, he/she may apply for exemption based on the table below.
NATIONAL QUALIFICATION LITERACY/ (COMMUNICATIONS) NUMERACY / (MATHEMATICS)/ 2nd LANGUAGE (SOUTH AFRICANOFFICIAL)
L1 L2 L3 L4 L1 L2 L3 L4
Grade 12 with Mathematics Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Grade 12 without Mathematics Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes No No No Yes
Grade 11 with Mathematics Yes Yes Yes No Yes Yes Yes No Yes, at the appropriate level
Grade 11 without Mathematics Yes Yes Yes No Yes No No No Yes, at the appropriate level
Grade 10 with Mathematics Yes Yes No No Yes Yes No No Yes, at the appropriate level
Grade 10 without Mathematics Yes Yes No No Yes No No No Yes, at the appropriate level
Grade 9 Yes No No No Yes No No No Yes, at the appropriate level
FET N1 – N6 Recognition at appropriate level
Yes=can be awarded; No=required unit standards must be completed for this programme.
All text books are excluded from the tuition fees. All Damelin learning manuals are included in the tuition fees. A list of textbooks will be provided by your nearest Damelin campus’ academic department.
Enquire at your nearest Damelin campus for a current programme pricelist.
Learners are expected to make provision for the following item: Event Planners’ Toolkit, subject to quote from suppliers.
All external exam fees are included for the first attempt; thereafter learners will be responsible for the payment of re-assessment to the relevant assessment bodies (e.g. Cape Wine Academy).
Upon successful completion of the programme, the learner will receive the Damelin Conference, Exhibition and Event Management Certificate.
*This programme in Conference, Exhibition and Event Management is certified by the Damelin Academic Board.
The following certificates will be awarded to successful learners by the external providers:
- First Aid Level 1 Certificate.
- Wine Theory Certificate.