Biology is a natural science concerned with the study of life and living organisms, including their structure, function, growth, evolution, distribution, identification and taxonomy.
What do they do?
Biological scientists who work in applied research or product development apply knowledge gained through basic research to develop new drugs, treatments and medical diagnostic tests. Their work is also used to increase crop yields and develop new bio fuels.
Scientists usually conduct research in laboratories using a wide variety of other equipment. Some conduct experiments involving animals or plants. This is particularly true of botanists, physiologists, and zoologists. Some biological research also takes place outside the laboratory.
Did you know/Interesting facts about Biological Science
- During your lifetime, you will produce enough saliva to fill two swimming pools.
Jobs directly related to your degree include:
- Higher Education Lecturer
- Nature Conservation Officer
- Physician Associate
- Research Scientist (life sciences)
- Research Scientist (medical)
- Secondary School Teacher
- Soil Scientist
- The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin
- Sydney Brenner, Charles Darwin