What is it?
It is the chemistry that deals with chemical compounds and processes occurring in living things.
The chemical characteristics and reactions of a particular living organism or biological substance
What they do
The aim of a biochemist is to improve our quality of life by understanding living organisms at the molecular level. This can include running laboratory experiments to develop effective medicines or going out in the field to collect cell samples from animals and plants in order to understand how genetic traits are carried.
A biochemist will typically conduct research projects, manage laboratory teams, prepare technical reports and present research findings to scientists and other interested parties. In their daily work, biochemists analyse enzymes, DNA, and other molecules to research the effects of drugs and food on biological processes.
Modules in University
Chemistry, Biology, Calculus
Jobs directly related to the degree include:
- Analytical Chemist
- Biomedical Scientist
- Healthcare Scientist, Clinical Biochemistry
- Clinical Research Associate
- Forensic Scientist
- Physician Associate
- Research Scientist (life sciences)
- Scientific Laboratory Technician
Did you know/Interesting facts about biochemistry
- Biochemistry largely deals with the four main classes of molecules that are present in living things: carbohydrates, proteins, lipids, and nucleic acids.
- Humans share 60% of DNA with a banana<fun facts Biochemistry>
Darwin’s Black Box: The Biochemical Challenge to Evolution by Michael J Behe
What is Life: How Chemistry becomes Biology by Addy Pross
People to know in the field
Figueroa Joshua, Amanda Swart